Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/waurisa0/public_html/phpBB3/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 927: date() [function.date]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Los_Angeles' for 'PST/-8.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 927: getdate() [function.getdate]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Los_Angeles' for 'PST/-8.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3545: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3547: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3549: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
The Washington GIS Community • View topic - First ESRI GIS Customer & Mason County & City of Sno

First ESRI GIS Customer & Mason County & City of Sno

Help us to mark this 25 years of GIS in Washington State by posting anecdotes and experiences about GIS in our state over the last 25 years, and maybe look ahead to the future of GIS in Washington.

Moderator: amandataub

First ESRI GIS Customer & Mason County & City of Sno

Postby Matt_Stull on Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:00 pm

I don't know a lot about GIS history in Washington State but here is what I do know from my experience working in and around the Puget Sound area:

I remember hearing at a conference that the Washington Dept. of Natural Resources was the first ESRI GIS software customer in the state. If my memory serves me right this was in the early 1980's when the ArcInfo software was in its first version or so.

Mason County started it's GIS program around 1999. The county purchased it's first GIS software using grants. The county's GIS program started in and is still housed in the Public Works Department. In late 2004 the department came under new management and took off in another direction. In 2005 the county created a robust new roads layer and began to map the parcels for the remaining areas of the county. The parcel mapping was finished in early 2007. The county also released their internet mapping website in June of 2006.

The City of Snoqualmie started it's GIS program in 1999. The city started the program by hiring ESM Consulting Engineers of Federal Way to implement the project. ESM then shortly after hired me to do the work. I continued working and building the city's GIS system until May of 2005. The City is currently in the process of hiring it's first GIS analyst.

That's what I know off the top of my head. I'd be interested to hear what other know. Thanks!

Matt Stull
Matt Stull
GIS Coordinator
City of Tumwater
WAURISA Tech Cmte Member
Matt_Stull
Site Admin

Return to GIS in Washington State - 25 years & growing